Who & What
Although the name Opinionista is pretty self-explanatory, an About section is now an obligatory introduction on most blogs. So here we go.
According to The Oxford dictionary—yes, I actually consulted it before writing this bit—a fashionista is a designer of haute couture and/or a devoted follower of fashion. Then, the natural deduction is that an opinionista is a devoted follower of opinions. If you love to read Op-Eds then Opinionista is for you.
But beyond that, I like to think that I’m an opinion designer just by the mere fact that I create most of the many opinions that I hold. Some being, admittedly, less “haute” than others. Opinionista is my attempt to provide a space where we meet and share our opinions with each other. That’s where the “.us” comes in. That, and the fact that “.com” and “.net” were not available.
Opinionista is, so far, a collection of opinions on the U.S.: its culture, its politics, its television, and life in general.
To be or not to be—out of the anonymity closet—is a question with which I have struggled for quite some time. I feel very strongly that today we simply reveal too much: too much boob, too much butt, too much emotional baggage. I think that we need to bring back discretion, and even some degree of mystery, to our lives. But, that will be the subject of a future post. So for now, and until I decide what to do, you will know me as The Opinionista.
However, I do want to reveal a few things about myself. I am a woman. I am very interested in the subject of communication: in relationships, in relation to language, and most of all in politics. I have tackled political communication several times in posts like The Donkey Chronicles, Obamacare: That’s Right, Obama Cares, and You Say MediScare, We Say MediScarce. I use humor and sarcasm frequently and especially when writing about politics. Our current political climate is so toxic that I need to make fun of it. Otherwise, I’d spend my days crying.
I believe that 90% of families are dysfunctional and that everyone should undergo at least one year of psychotherapy in their lifetime: the 90% to fix the dysfunctions acquired from their family and the remaining 10% to be able to deal with the dysfunctional 90%.
I love to read and, obviously, I love to write. Opinionista is born out of my desire to make a contribution, no matter how small, to the public discourse on the events that touch our lives. Some of these events are trivial, while others are much more serious. We can laugh at the former and rail about the latter—together. Who knows? If enough of us speak up, perhaps we can make a difference…someday.
I hope you join me. In the meantime, love, laugh, and
By the way: The views and opinions expressed on this website are solely those of the original contributors and opinionistas (as they should be). These views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of the Opinionista staff (me) or of The Opinionista [(also me), when I'm not the article's writer] and/or, any/all other contributors to this site.
The images used on this site are taken from the web (usually Google images) and always attributed to the site where they were found at the bottom of each post. These images are chosen with two criteria: 1. that they complement the post and 2. that they don’t seem to be someone’s unique and cherished work. If I happen to choose your cherished or copyrighted image (because I think it’s awesome and/or it goes well with the post) it is without any intention to appropriate it. Just shoot me an email and it will be taken down immediately.
Phew! Glad that’s over!